Northern Girl On... Homemade cocktails

With a long bank holiday weekend on it's way - and another one shortly after - there can often be a pressure to go out and enjoy it by drinking all day and partying all night. Unfortunately for me, even this soon since payday I'm not wholly convinced my bank account can stretch to a 4 day drinking session so I've decided to share some of the recipes to my favourite home made cocktails. 


The Northern Girl's take on Tinto Verano.

If you've ever spent any amount of time in the middle regions of Spain in the summer you'll have probably discovered Tinto Verano - if you haven't it's sangria's fruity and sparkling sister. Super easy to make, the fruitier the better. I was inspired to make this at home when I had some red wine left over from cooking.


The recipe:

  • 150ml San Pellegrino or similar lemon based sparkling drink. I find with this drink, the better the lemon the better the drink but you could use regular lemonade and add a dash of lemon juice
  • 50ml Red Wine. I'm not the biggest red wine drinker so this mix is perfect for me but feel free to add more red wine to your taste.

If gin is your drink... discover the mirrorball.

This little beauty is the perfect long gin mixer. Combining gin, lemon, elderflower before lengthening with soda. We currently have 2 bottles of gin sat in our flat which we picked up for £20 thanks to tesco's offer but there are loads of great supermarket offers on spirits at the minute. We vary our drink by swapping between elderflower and regular gin.


The recipe:
  • 50ml gin
  • 50ml elderflower cordial
  • Top with soda water
  • 3 dashes of lemon juice - the kind you would put on your pancakes


Prosecco cocktails.

For my 21st Birthday Tom whisked me away to Milan and the Italian lakes for 2 weeks. In our first couple of nights we noticed that everyone seemed to be drinking this orange cocktail so when we saw a barman preparing one; we asked what it was and discovered the Aperol Spritz. The second he said it contained prosecco, I was sold. I will now order myself one EVERY SINGLE TIME I see it on any cocktail menu.


Aperol Spritz

The recipe:
  • 3 shots (75ml) Prosecco
  • 2 shots (50ml) Aperol
  • Top with soda
  • Garnish with orange
I had a few cocktails in Leeds with the girls at the weekend and Headrow House had a whole spritz section so switch it up and replace your Aperol with Raspberry Liquor or even elderflower gin for a different spritz flavour.

Gin Spritz

  • 200ml prosecco
  • 50ml Gordon's elderflower gin
  • 25ml elderflower cordial
  • Top with sparkling water



Drinking out in London

It doesn't have to be all drinking in this weekend. If you're about in London, get yourself on to Drinki - an app that gives you free drinks in London. You can view the bars by map and it's a great opportunity to discover new drinks. If you're about for the Greenwich Tall Ships Festival, hit up Rum and Sugar in Canary Wharf on your way for THE best Strawberry Mojito I have ever had. Sign up with the link below and you'll get two extra free drinks, exclusively for readers of The Northern Girl's Guide to London! Already have the app? Input code NGGUIDE01.

http://share.drinki.com/northern-girls-guide


Free espresso martinis at all of the London Grind bars courtesy of Drinki

What are your plans for the long weekend? Leave me a comment to let me know what's going on or what your favourite drinks at home are NG x


Comments

  1. I love a good homemade cocktail, and these look SO good! I also really wish I lived in London so I could get some free drinks ahaha!

    I'm unfortunately working this weekend! :( x

    Lauren | www.thelifeofastudentblogger.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something so nice about home made cocktails and they'll be so perfect for summer gatherings and bbqs! Oh no! Hope you're getting extra for working the bank holiday weekend! X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts